Skip to main content

Reply to "Service Academy Draftee"

quote:
Lets take a hypothetical situation. Lt Joe Blow graduates from the Academy. A plus personality, big time potential youth leader, and he is recruited to lead large city urban youth organization. Lt Smith sees this as his life long dream position where he can make a difference. What will the Service have to say about this opportunity and his commitment to the armed forces.

Ignorance on my part asks is if everyone has the opportunity to "buy out".

Not being a smart alek, but this theme has been worked over earlier in the thread with the singer analogy. I ask those coming in late to the topic to please go back and read the thread because there are many complex issues raised by it.

To answer your question, if hypothetical urban Joe were promised an alternate career path to join the Academy over all the other colleges out there who are competing with said Academy for the respective urban youth organization candidate, then shame on them if they don't live up to their end of things - regardless of how vague they are. If they are not telling urban Joe it is disallowed up front then it impliedly is allowed and we are stuck with the issues raised here in this thread. Apparently the Phillies thought it was allowed.

Interesting you were able to determine we were talking about Lt. Bolt. Some who are lecturing others to "turn down their sensitivity receptors" or to "refrain from swinging" seem obtuse to this fact. I hope their kids are not subjected someday to the indiginities they have bestowed on other's kids in this thread. Just so we are clear on what we are talking about, here is the offensive/insensitive remark imho:

quote:
My posts have been in support of those who have elected to serve in the military, both as commissioned officers out of the Academies and in the ranks. People who committed without the personal reserve clause of ‘as long as I don’t get the opportunity to play professional sports instead.”

Someone please explain how that does not reflect badly (impliedly albeit) on Lt. Bolt and then maybe we can turn down the sensitivity receptors.