Skip to main content

Reply to "Service Academy Draftee"

quote:
In some cases they are being paid seperation bonuses to leave and owe nothing in commitment.

It has been my understanding that RIF boards can effect all ranks, but most recently ( within the last 10-12 years ) company grade and below. It is true that when there needs to be a reduction in force some service members ( depending on their year group, that is year group of graduation ) are given the choice to voluntarily seperate from the military. They are usually compensated monetarily ( a lump sum ) and their service is ended with no obligation for further service. I am only aware of this occuring to members who have served some time, usually at least two years and not straight fresh out of the Academies.
Perhaps I am wrong, or again, there are exceptions to the rule. OB44, can you pm me your information source? You now have me curious.
If the numbers do not go down enough by those who volunteer to seperate, a RIF board is set into place. Then service members are cut regardless if they wish to stay and serve or not. They usually have 30-60 days to terminate once the board results are made public.
Last edited by shortstopmom