Skip to main content

Reply to "Service Academy recruiting"

quote:
When the US Naval Academy contacted my son a few months ago, he was told that he wouldn't need a congressman or senator to provide a nomination, that the baseball offer would take care of that part.

That is interesting. My HS '04 was recruited by USNA. Had the interview with local Gold Commander. And was scheduled for interview with congressman for nomination. Son cancelled the interview when he decide to attend another school.

There are parents of midshipmen & cadets that used to post here frequently.

Some things to consider when you accept an invitation for admission into the academy. When you enter the academy you are a member of the military. The summer before your plebe year is a 'basic training' camp. You earn a monthly stipend while attending class. In the summer you earn your monthly stipend on assignment to a post or base or fleet or squadron or....... So - no summer baseball.

The Academies will publicize a 'world class athlete' program (mostly emphasized by USAFA in letters) that might release a graduate from his military commitment. Navy had a LH pitcher drafted 2 years ago. I think he took 2 weeks of his leave to play minor league ball with the Blue Jays. My memory is fading, but I seem to remember that a graduate that uses this plan must reach the Major Leagues in 2 years and the MLB team must reimburse the US Gov't for the cost of the player's Academy education.