Skip to main content

Reply to "Service Academy recruiting"

montanadad - well put - your information is very accurate.

We went through the recruitment process with my '05 HS graduate last year. He was being recruited to play football for Army. He was also being recruited by TCU, LA Tech, and Air Force. His first visit was to TCU in the Fall of 2004. I made this visit with him. I was very impressed with the school, coaches, and the overall atmosphere.

The next visit was to West Point in November of 2004. His mom went with him on this visit. He came back after that weekend ready to commit to Army. He was completely blown away with Coach Bobby Ross, the school, and the athletic facilities. I could not believe it, in fact I was not real happy about it.

I never did really understand the attraction of West Point until his mom and I took him up there on "Reception Day" (beginning of Cadet Basic Training) this past June. It became very apparent what the attraction was. To those who have never been to West Point it is hard to put into words what it is like.

In regard to the athletics facilities - they are second to NONE. I was very impressed with the overall athletic facilities. Atheletics are taken VERY seriously at West Point. Money does not appear to be an object.

In regard to getting admitted - yes, if you are a recruited athlete you will get the wheels greased to a degree. Don't let the lengthy and stringent admittance process scare your son off.

After 5 months at West Point my son absolutely knows he made the right decision to attend. He loves playing football for Bobby Ross. The man is one of the most motivating individuals I have ever met. West Point takes care of their athletes like no other school.

Is it tough? Oh yes!! The first year (Plebe year) is meant to weed out the weak and they do. But to the young men and women who have the goal of graduating from what may be the most demanding of all undergraduate universities it is well worth it.

If anyone has any questions about what to expect regarding the recruitment process or West Point in general PM me and I will do my best to help you.
Last edited by crawdad