Skip to main content

Reply to "Shattering the glass ceiling"

Hmmm…

I saw the young lady in the photo below pitch in juco. She wasn’t in the top tier physically of the freshman I saw that season, but she was certainly there mentally, and it didn’t seem like a travesty as I watched her pitch.

Things are certainly changing, and you can complain about wanting it the way it always was, or you can be a voice of reason regarding where it’s heading. If someone strives to get to the highest level of anything, I don’t think uncontrollable things (like birth sex) should be a hindrance. I also don’t think a transgender athlete should be able to use a genetic birth advantage to compete in their new classification (IMO).

These gender (and other) paradigms will continue to be broken, and at some point, maybe we can just be people. Sports classifications should be fair, but if you can hang at the highest level (regardless of sex) then by all means compete there!

I can’t say I’ve ever seen a baseball team where there wasn’t a player or two that there might have been a better option. Heck, there was a dad on one team my son played on that felt that way about my kid – and voiced it. If the coach thinks it a good fit for the team, then you should respect it – there are many players that contribute in ways beyond on the field.

I didn’t get a birth daughter, that blessing came later through remarriage. However, if I had a daughter through the kid sports years, I wouldn’t have put any cultural limits on her passions – life and reality sorts that out in the end.

Edited to include her (Sarah Hudek, pictured below) Wikipedia page. I don't see one thing about this that isn't great for the game.  

24252609404_0a3b5c4865_k24513155589_e2ac68629d_k

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 24252609404_0a3b5c4865_k
  • 24513155589_e2ac68629d_k
Last edited by JucoDad