Skip to main content

Reply to "Should a "young" junior play 16U or 18U?"

If you can play you can play. If you can play up then play up. The whole point is to play at the highest level you are capable of playing at. My youngest son is a Freshman 15 years old. He has been invited to play on a 16-18 year old team this summer. He has always played up. When he was in the 7th grade he caught in a High School summer league. He caught our senior that year that threw low 90's that was drafted in the second round. When he was playing AAU he played up almost every year. He has been practicing with my High School players since he was in the 6th grade. It has made him a much better player at a younger age. Now if he played 16 under this summer he might be the star or one of them. But that is not what it is about. Its about challenging yourself and facing the best competition that you can. That is what I believe makes you a better player. He will start this year behind the plate as a Freshman on varsity because he has prepared himself to step in. Not by playing down but by playing up every chance he got.