Skip to main content

Reply to "Should high schools grant two additional semesters of eligibility?"

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:

once you start playing high school varsity age baseball, age needs to be the last thing you think about because it likely is the last thing the coach is thinking about. If you are the young kid, you better show up ready to rake and battle for time. If you are the older guy, you better have that rear view mirror properly adjusted to see who is coming for your spot!

This gets lost on this board a lot. Once you make a varsity team age no longer matters. In 2019's case, he was playing varsity as a freshmen. The first strikeout he recorded in HS was against a 19 year old senior committed to a P5 program. The first homerun he gave up was against a random 15 year old sophomore batting 8th for the worst team in our conference. After playing varsity as a freshman you know what would've done him absolutely no good, going back and playing 14u baseball that summer against some guys who were still in 8th grade. So he played 17u and learned how to pitch and hit the hard way. 

One of the kids he rooms with is very young for their grade, moved into his dorm at 17. There are 2 24 year olds on the roster. Kids literally 7 years older than him. It doesn't matter because that is the competition. 

Whenever I see a post about a "young 15" or concerns about a 19 year old player I roll my eyes. 

Anybody willing to do another year of HS to play one more season is foolish in my opinion and the parents are even worse for allowing it to happen. Now if there are scholarship issues and a kid needs to take a PG year or head to a juco then that's a different story. But high schoolers with no offers looking to reclass because there is "less" 2021/2022 money is insane. College is what you do, baseball is what you do to make it cheaper/allow you to go somewhere you may not have been able to. Unless your kids is a potential pro (some on here are) there really isn't a business plan to follow