Skip to main content

Reply to "Should I forgo my Senior baseball season?"

What your high school doesn't offer is just an excuse. You are not behind due to your high school. You are behind due to your lack of motivation and planning. When you weren't lifting weights in a planned program you could have been doing it on your own. I don't know any college players who got there because of their high school. They got to college ball on their motivation and work ethic (along with talent). There isn't a college player who has taken more grounders or flies at high school practice than on their own time. 

College coaches don't flock to high school games. They're mostly busy coaching in the spring. You need to go to the right camps and showcases. You need to play on the right summer team. 

A friend/travel teammate of my son played in a losing 1A program. Their only chance of winning was when he pitched and went the distance. He played D1 ball from visibility from his travel team. He wouldn't have dominated 5A ball. But he would have still starred.

You need to make a business plan of where you believe you can play college ball. Then you have to plan how to get in front of the coaching staffs. It needs to be this summer and fall. 

Your size is an issue. Look for teams with several players under 6'. It's a possible indicator of how much size matters in that program. If you see a program with no one under 5'11" chances are the coach has a size bias. With your metrics you're probably a D3 prospect. A couple of years ago Tufts, a ranked D3 had a 5'2" second baseman. The kid got dirty every game. 

Get organized quickly. It's "go time" this summer. Good luck!

Last edited by RJM