Skip to main content

Reply to "Should I forgo my Senior baseball season?"

My point is simply this.  Lots of people get disgruntled about their HS programs.  And lots of people get disgruntled with their collegiate programs too, for that matter.

If you identify yourself as someone who quit because you were disgruntled, no one is going to care about your reasons or whether you had some sort of justification.  If you quit, you label yourself as someone who might become disgruntled on the collegiate team, too, if things don't go your way.  And with all sorts of other players competing with you for college roster spots, you would put yourself to the end of the line vis a vis those guys.  In fact, you may not be in the line at all.

The expectation is that you will persevere through whatever obstacles may lie in your path.

I would also caution you that college ball is much harder and much more demanding than HS ball, and your college coaches are likely to be more overbearing than your HS coaches, not less.  Many, many young players who dream for years of continuing on to college ball end up finding out when they get there that they don't like the experience at all.  So, perhaps this isn't really for you?

In either event, my suggestion would be that you persevere and even look for ways to enjoy playing baseball in any form available while you still can.  The day will come soon enough when there is nowhere to play, and that day may well come much sooner than you think.