Skip to main content

Reply to "Should I forgo my Senior baseball season?"

First Kudos to you for reaching out to this board and taking that step...it's not eacy to ask for advice and even tougher to hear criticism...so good for you for taking that step.

As a travel coach that has been fortunate enough to assist several players in their college decision making process and helping them get into the right college situation...I believe it would be a complete disaster to forgo your senior high school baseball season if you have any hope or desire to play in college.  If you do receive interest from playing on one of the better travel teams this summer, the interested schools are going to track you through the spring.  What are they to think if you aren't on a roster?  If you don't have any offers after this summer then you will need to keep following up with coaches and try to get them out to see you next spring.  There is nothing to be gained from skipping your senior season.  If you want it bad enough find the time to continue to develop on your own while at the same time playing on your high school team. 

You stated "We play in Division 5a Virginia we haven't had a winning season in years and unfortunately my development has taken a huge hit. As a 3 years varsity starter I've realized that I'm extremely behind the 8 ball my high school team has no weight lifting program no summer workout or off season workouts and the coaches often change my mechanics for the worse." 

Colleges don't recruit teams...they recruit players.  So the fact that you have been a 3 year starter and been fortunate enough to play against good competition has helped you, not hindered your development.  I know a ton of guys that wish they could have been in your position.  Sure a great high school coach with a great program could have helped you more but you've also been very fortunate to get to play varsity for three years.   It's on you to develop a plan to get to where you want to be.  There are a lot of good D3 programs in Virginia.  Reach out to their coaches and ask how you can get in front of them.  Get their feedback.  Good luck this summer...your showcase program should be able to help you decide where your skills are aligned for the next level.  Make sure that YOU reach out to the colleges where you are playing this summer that are in line with your abilities.  Let them know your schedule for the weekend, send them a short video if you have it.  You will start getting more and more feedback.  Look at attending one of the really good showcases in Virginia where multiple colleges attend.  If you want to p/m I can give you a good option that I got in my inbox this morning.

But again, to answer your basic question.  Heck no do not skip your senior year for many reasons!!!