Skip to main content

Reply to "Should I just pull him?"

@Jen234 posted:

I just found a early email from the man that runs the league that we should not call him if our kid sits a whole game but should if he sits multiple or an entire weekend. Guess I will call tomorrow and see about that.

Welcome to the site. 

I am a bit confused... you said he joined a travel team.  Why would a man who runs the league have any bearing on how much players play?  What was the agreement with the travel team with regard to playing time when signing to join and pay $1800?

When you play HS ball and college ball there are no guarantees of playing time.  You have to earn it.  A player may play a little, a lot or not at all.  That's the way it is and should be.

However... TPM is right.  When you play with a travel organization and pay more than a small amount, that almost always comes with some stated agreement of expectations and commitment from both parties.  This agreement almost always includes some general predetermined minimal play expectations.  Going forward, make sure these, among other things, are part of any agreement when having your son join a pay-to-play travel organization.

Meanwhile, I am very curious about what type of team/organization/league took that kind of money from you with no playing time.  Is there significant instruction, practices, evaluation, etc., included?  What does the $1800 cover?