Skip to main content

Reply to "Should I play catcher?"

peterwu27 posted:

I'm a 14-year-old baseball player, and I have only been playing baseball for not so long, like 2 or 3 years. I have find my talent at 3rd base and on the mound, and I have sinked many hours of work into it. I was considering playing catcher because nobody really knows how to play it. It looks really painful but I do want to throw runners out. I am 5-11, 180.

Peter, playing catcher can be cool but it REALLY isn't for everyone.  I hate to be so blunt, but you asked, if your back up position is 3B you likely aren't suited to be a catcher.  3B is where you put your BIG guy who doesn't move very well.  The best catchers have the speed, movement and athleticism that if they weren't catching they would be playing shortstop.

It isn't about just catching the ball and being big enough to block the ball, it's more about what happens when the ball gets past you.  I have a 14u son and he is the backup catcher.  He loves being able to see the whole field and being involved so often in the plays but he's giving it up after this year because he's just not fluid and fast enough when the ball gets past him.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you are super nimble and fast...but my best advice to you is to focus on your hitting.  If you aren't a MIF or a speedy OF guy then your contribution to the team is likely hitting or pitching. Excel at either of those and you should have a decent shot at making the team next year.