Skip to main content

Reply to "Should I play catcher?"

FoxDad posted:

Catching is the toughest position to play, but can be very rewarding.  My son's primary position was catcher from age 9 through his sophomore year (switched to 3B and then 1B).   It is one of the unsung positions.  You don't get the glory the pitchers and SS do.  But a good catcher that than can block, throw and hit is worth their weight.  You are also the leader of the defense.  Just prepared to get beat up a bit - pitches in the dirt, foul ball tipped into you, runner sliding into home, etc.  As mentioned, it's not just throwing down to second.

You'll want to develop skills at an alternate position such as 3B or 1B.  Trust me when I tell you that you don't want to play every game behind the plate.

Don't forget one of the most important characteristics is the ability to "stick" pitches.  The catcher that can keep strikes strikes, and make balls look like strikes will get your pitcher 4-5 extra "strike" calls each game.  Those that cannot, will run their pitcher counts up unnecessarily.