Skip to main content

Reply to "Should I play catcher?"

RJM posted:

Run into a couple of walls. Have your friends throw rocks at you. If you enjoy it, sure, catch.

Actually, it's a valuable position very few play well. If you can block pitches, throw out runners and lead it's usually the fastest way to the varsity. If it's your only position you better be the best in case someone shows up who excels.

My son loved catching through his preteen years. He loved being in the middle of the game. By 13u he was playing mostly short. He had tired of the beating. His LL all star team played into August. By the time the season was over his arms were black and blue. The beating affected his swing.

+1 on the fastest way to make V.   We carry 2 or 3 catchers on our V team.  A primary catcher, a backup catcher and if we carry a 3rd he is a bullpen catcher.  The BP catcher normally plays on the Soph team and will be brought up to V if needed.   The first one called up for the V team during playoffs is normally the best catcher on the Frosh or Soph team.  

I can tell you that over the years our HS team has had a few kids on it who probably would not make the team if they didn't catch.  They may not have gotten much playing time as they were the backup or bullpen catcher but they did make the team.