Skip to main content

Reply to "Should it be the Best Player?"

I think that if you put forty kids on a field, run them through drills for a week in front of 10 different coaches, I would guess they would pretty much pick the same 18-20 players for a team, maybe one to three kids maybe be different. Now the coach will address his needs and those needs are not always physical or talent in nature. You would like someone to be a leader preferably a senior who can keep everyone loose and focused. This happened on my son's varsity squad last year. One player did not have the best skills, speed or talent but he really could keep the team focused and loose. It was the difference in the team, IMO and they advanced to the state finals. There may have been better players on the team but not in the terms of leadership. Personally, I think you have to be some kind of wonder to play as a freshman or sophomore in the larger classes of any state. I think it is more the parents than the player who really wants to be on the varsity team as an underclassman (fr and soph).