Skip to main content

Reply to "Should Penn State Football be shut down?"

quote:
Originally posted by CoachB25:
quote:
Originally posted by CPLZ:
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
Do the baseball players deserve this because of Paterno?

First, it is not because of Paterno, it is because Paterno was allowed to be Paterno. A great many people, people who are to be trusted with the health and wealfare of young men and women, failed them miserably by creating and allowing a Paterno to exist. That is the failure of the system. The whole, "we'll look the other way as long as he brings us fundraising and prestige", mantra.

Baseball was happy to hitch its wagon to the rising Paterno star, brand new state of the are facilities and all. I believe it should gather dust. So yes, the other sports reaped the benefits, the other sports should suffer. It is called a punishment. Don't punish football, football wasn't the problem. Punish athletics for letting the university allow it to become bigger than the university itself. Let it stand as an empty monolith as a reminder that one should not benefit from the corruption of decency.

What is that saying about 2 wrongs?

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one also, Coach...I don't see the wrong in punishing all of athletics when it was all of athletics that blindly followed without question as long as their sports were getting funded.