Skip to main content

Reply to "Should pro baseball do something to reduce Ks?"

3and2Fastball posted:
RJM posted:
Buckeye 2015 posted:
fenwaysouth posted:

PS...I was watching an MLB game the other day.  The infield had shifted entirely to the right side.  There were 4 IFs from 2nd based to 1st base.  They were giving this guy a bunt single to any place on the left side of the infield.   He wouldn't take it.  He struck out looking.   That in a nutshell is what is wrong with hitters in todays professional game.   

The game is perfect the way it is, it just needs smarter players willing to do things to help their team.

As always, JMO

I have absolutely no idea why ANY guy wouldn't take an easy bunt single against the shift....even though there is supposedly some "unwritten rule" against it lol.   If a manager wants to give you half a field with nobody there to cover it....of course you'd better be smart enough to take it.   It baffles me that any player would try to swing against the shift....just drop a bunt down and get to first. 

I always thought this. Then I heard a former player/announcer explain MLB ball isn’t high school ball. It’s not that easy to bunt the other way on a MLB pitcher who is pitching to make you hit the ball into the shift.

Yep.  If bunting 95 mph sliders was easy, they'd do it.

It isn't easy but I'm not convinced they would do it if it was. Pro athletes have an ego.  Shaq  was once asked if he would try underhand (Rick Barry style) and he replied, I'm a gangster,I would rather shoot zero percent from the line.

But yes,it also is mucha easier said than done.