Skip to main content

Reply to "Should pro baseball do something to reduce Ks?"

The debate regarding baseball's position in the sports landscape has been going on here for a long time.  One side is the "it's still the great game - no reason to worry or change."  The other is "no one under 30 is watching and soon no one under 50 will be watching.  Too slow for the times and without change the game will drop in popularity"

I lean to the later scenario but all of that could be irrelevant because there is one other element that rarely gets talked about.

For nearly 150 years the game has always been a father to son ritual.  IMO the game of catch with our father or son has a nearly religious status for those of us that love the game.  It does for me.  I hope to live long enough to again feel the pop in my left palm from a yet to be born grandson falling in love with the game.  The sound and vibration into my forearm will let me know as much as anything that I am still alive and have purpose.  I might just cry a little if he gets a little smile thinking he is stinging me and tries to bring it a little harder.  I sure as hell hope he does because if he does he'll be taking me back to when I did that to the old man myself.  

As fatherhood continues to be diminished and eliminated from the culture it is the vine of the game that dies with it.  It might just be....there is no fix for that.   If so that is truly a sad thing for the game and country.