Skip to main content

Reply to "Should put my son in a pitching program."

cabbagedad posted:

OK, cool.  Sounds like a good program, should alleviate the previously mentioned concerns about arm abuse and, in fact, be a good foundation for proper mechanics, care, strength and stability going forward for his arm (and body), which is important for every player.  Also, I suspect if you are doing this for him, you are likely one that will also make sure he has good direction/instruction on the hitting side in the coming years as well.  

So, the coach may be right as to where he projects (I don't know), but there is nothing wrong with having him in this type of program.  So, come on down off that ledge.

The only thing that raises a flag for me is that you were reactionary based on a few bad outings.  Bad outings in baseball is as sure as darkness coming with night time.  Keep the big picture in mind.  And, most importantly, make sure that your son is playing and participating because he loves to play.  Be careful not to push lessons, instruction, extra participation, programs, etc.  It should always be something he wants to do.

Oh, one last thing... this is all said assuming you are keeping things in perspective with regards to spending within a realistic family budget.

It was very uncharacteristic of him and it happened two tournaments in a row.  I may be overreacting. He hadn't been practicing pitching on the big field. He definitely wants to do the program.  He is so hard on himself.  He was totally defeated after that last outing.  That was a big reason for wanting to do this program. I hate to see him like that. I think it's reasonably priced compared to what everyone else offers. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20181031_210845