Skip to main content

Reply to "Should put my son in a pitching program."

cabbagedad posted:
CTbballDad posted:

I don’t want to come across bashing Mr Boddy, as he runs a successful business and is a valuable member here, but for the sake of parents who are unsure, you need to keep in mind that these businesses are predicated on players throwing in the off-season.  If players shut down, there’s less money pumped into these programs.  Something to keep in mind when reading opinion pieces and the source (applies to baseball, stock investing, politics, etc.)

I spoke to every coach who recruited my son on this topic and they all advised we shut down.  My son eclipsed 100 innings by August and they all said not to pick up a baseball until January.

CT, that is an interesting point to a topic that still has expert opinions conflicting across the spectrum.  I sure don't have the answers.  But I did want to point out the irony in the recruiting college coaches advising to shut down.  The college is going to get the kid in August, expecting him to show up with an arm that is in shape and ready to go (requiring subsequent throwing program/routine).  They will throw a TON through fall, winter and spring and then be shipped off by the same college coach to play summer ball somewhere.  Rinse, wash and repeat for four years if you survive.  Hmmm...  I guess, to your point, each voice has some element of selfish objective.

Uh oh, I embedded a couple of quotes, so nobody will probably read this. I know I have read on several threads here about guys whose sons are pitchers that their college coaches are instructing their summer collegiate teams to limit innings to a certain count. I know a D1 commit who threw 90 innings in the spring and his D1 coach shut him down until he hit the campus in August. No summer ball. It's all situational, depends on the history of the player (have they had arm/shoulder/elbow injuries in the past), whether they are still physically not mature (many aren't) etc. The college has the right, I think, to direct the use of the player in the off-season because they are the most invested in them.

Also, I saw an interesting tweet this morning talking about the use of pitching staffs during the season. Only about 7-8 pitchers will see meaningful innings, so the rest of the guys are going to need to get the work during summer ball.

Last edited by GaryMe