Skip to main content

Reply to "Shoulder injury question"

@edcoach posted:

Smitty thanks for responding. Very interesting. First, my son caught 5 games in 48 hours in heat indexes over 108 72 hours prior to the injury    im very intrigued by what youre saying about the tight shoulder because I know his is tight I can tell when he throws. Should I ask ortho about that tomorrow? Do I just need to find someone that can stretch the shoulder capsule? The similarities between our 2 boys injuries are interesting. Football starts next week so we have to move fast lol 

Definitely ask the ortho about his range of motion, general flexibility, and if tightness can be a root cause of this pain.  I would also ask about physical therapy - if the ortho provides a prescription for it your health insurance may pick up the tab (at least it did for us).  

I wish I could tell you how to find a good physical therapist... my son had a couple that didn't seem to be worth the hour on the bench, and the third one we found worked magic.  I guess I would say if he doesn't feel a dramatic improvement from his therapist, go find another until you see results.

My son also played football, and he loves hitting the weight room, and I'm sure this contributed to his tightness.