Skip to main content

Reply to "Shoulder injury question"

@edcoach posted:

Hey Guys, just an update....has been throwing with some pain and I told him if he feels any pain wed do the MRI....MRI scheduled for tomorrow (Tue 9-1) and follow up 9-8...appreciate any prayers you all could provide...hoping for the best for sure...take care  Ed

I shared with you in a PM but feel ok to share now.  My son (Freshman college now) had shoulder pain at the end of June.  We went to doc who did Xray and tests and predictably sent us for an MRI.  The MRI was not at their facility and was read out by a different doctor who saw nothing structural.  We had our follow up with our doc and he saw a labrum tear (small) but one he insisted needed surgery.  Told us PT would not work (crazy comment).   We got a second opinion and that Doc showed us massive inflammation and she told us if you took an MRI of every 18 year old pitcher you would see small labrum tears on half who would be showing no symptoms, and she couldn't really confirm a small tear from the MRI.  Son did 21 sessions of PT between early July and his start of college on 8/20.   PT made a huge difference and he is throwing without any pain currently.  

I wondered if the first Doc, who didn't have any elective surgery for many months, was quick with the surgery suggestion for financial reasons.  I know that sounds horrible but his advice seemed strange and his rush to perform surgery set off alarms.  So I say get that MRI and if they say there is a big issue and your son needs surgery make sure you get a second opinion.   Second opinions are really key for all major decisions, IMO.

Take it from me the last thing you want to do is perform surgery on the shoulder.  Tequilla gives good reason in his post today.  I have had Labrum tear surgery.  I am not the same.  Thankfully I can serve in paddle or tennis, its all I got.  I can't throw a baseball.  Many come out of these surgeries fine but my personal opinion is make surgery a last resort, always get a second opinion.  Good luck to your son, i would be hopeful that more PT will solve his issue.