Skip to main content

Reply to "Shoulder Injury"

My son had surgery on March 28, 2006. It was performed by Dr. Joseph Chase at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Boston. Dr. Chase has performed the surgery hundreds of times, and believes that many times the injury is not properly diagnosed, in that a rotator cuff injury may be secondary to the primary injury of a torn labrum.

COACHDAD and TXMom are correct: A tear is not always visible on an MRI. Sure enough, when the doctor operated, he found a tear in the supraspinatus, which he stated would not have healed on its own. (Just like COACHDAD.)

Since that time, my son has been extremely diligent with his physical therapy. He treats with a former Red Sox trainer recommended by the surgeon (who also used to work with the Sox).

He also worked out all summer under the supervision of a trainer (in a group, and skipping anything that could harm his shoulder). Last week, he threw a baseball for the first time, lobbing it thirty feet about forty times on three days under the supervision of the PT. He will continue to throw with the PT two times per week, and will also work out with a trainer at the same facility two times per week, with an emphasis on baseball specific drills.

When he is able, and after consulting with the doctor and the therapist, he will work with a pitching coach I found through this forum, Brad Miller, to further correct his arm slot and other mechanics, so as to avoid further injury.

The truth is, we've heard more stories of failure than success, and we are very happy to hear of COACHDAD's son's successful return.

Another truth is, my son has not yet had the level of success that many of your boys likely have. He is 16, 6'1", 180lbs., throws and bats lefty, and is a very hard worker who works very hard and is quite coachable. He was making considerable progress before his injury, but had only gotten as far as his 9th grade team and 15 year old AAU. If heart and work were all that mattered, he'd go very far.

Having missed his sophomore and summer seasons, we want him to be in the best possible position next spring, and for junior year summer showcases. It will be one year since his surgery, and he should be at full strength.
If he is not, he'd like to repeat his junior year at another school.

What are your thoughts? Advice? Please know that the advice we have received so far has been excellent, and appreciated.