Skip to main content

Reply to "Shoulder Injury"

My son is a senior in high school this year. In February of 2007 he felt a pain in his right throwing shoulder while doing a light bullpen session. He stopped throwing and we went to see an orthopedic doctor the next day. The doctor said that he should have an MRI with dye injected, which he did. The MRI was interpreted as showing a posterior labrum tear. The doctor recommended trying physical therapy first before surgery. A second opinion yielded the same result. My son did not throw at all for six weeks but still played as a DH and had no pain batting. He could not throw a ball even ten feet. He began throwing left handed and did therapy five days a week. After the six weeks was up he began light throwing for about two weeks and then announced to us that all was well and pitched as a closer for the last part of the season. His velocity was greater then before the injury (maybe due to the throwing specific therapy). He closed five games and pitched a total of 10 innings. His control was good as he struck out 19 batters and walked 4. He sits around 86-88 and maxs at 90-92. You would think that I would be pleased with the way things worked out. My problem is that I am worried that the labrum tear has not healed. From what I read the labrum has a poor blood supply and a tear will not heal without surgery.If this is true if he continues to throw harder it may cause a more serious tear that could end his baseball life. He has signed a letter of intent with a D-1 school. How do you know if the shoulder is truly healthy again? Is no pain the indicator? Is it possibly that a lot of pitchers have torn labruns but have no pain and don't have pain as a symptom until they really injure it seriously. Any thoughts?