Skip to main content

Reply to "Shoulder Injury"

I was reading on another site about two pitchers who were top recruits out of high school in 2006. Both had shoulder surgery before they even threw a pitch in college. From the post I read, one is going to miss his second year of college baseball trying to recover and the other is no longer playing.
Last weekend I was talking with a 3rd year medical student who intends to specialize in Sports Medicine.
He is doing experiments on shoulder function/repair using animal models.
His view is the shoulder is, perhaps, the single most complicated joint for medical repair. Even more so when you put it through the rigors of playing baseball at a highly competitive level.
I make this post because we often hear about the successes of TJ surgery. We tend not to hear as much about the results with shoulders. That is because there aren't nearly as many successes.
For anyone who's son is diagnosed with labral, rotator cuff or other shoulder conditions, including something as "simple" as bursitis, it is important to realize there really isn't anything simple about the shoulder and how it needs to function to play baseball.
For any parent or player, finding the best is my best recommendation. The measure of the best isn't how many times they have done the procedure, it isn't if they are a "team" doctor, it is how many times have they done it on someone who plays baseball, and the player was able to recover and resume playing.
Last edited by infielddad