Skip to main content

Reply to "Shoulder Injury"

I honestly don't see how a torn labrum could heal itself without surgical help. At least a badly torn one. My son is 6 weeks out from surgery with tears in the front and in the back. Seeing the video of his surgery, with the labrum "flapping in the breeze" so to speak, I can't see how anything short of what they did would fix that.

He was hurt in the third game of football season and had his shoulder dislocate 3 to 4 times each and every game for the remainder of the season. Crazy kid didn't want to let his teammates down! Luckily it was his left shoulder and he is a righty, so we are now just working the strength back into that arm, in preparation of getting him back on the mound, and able to lift his arm safely to catch a ball.

He had the contrast MRI and both tears were evident, I don't think there were any surprises when they got in there. They put anchors into the two tears and tightened him back up. The doc tried to pop it out at his 6 wk check up Monday and I thought the kid was going to come up off the table swinging it hurt so badly.....but doc was happy that it was nice and tight. BTW you can check out Youtube for videos posted of torn labrum repairs and you can see exactly what you will be getting with surgery.

Best of luck to all having to deal with this. We would have rather not forked out the money and time, not to mention the discomfort to him by having to do the surgery, but there was simply no choice in the matter. He was broken and he had to be put back together. Scary thing about it all, is that he is planning on playing football again next fall! Eek If only I had that crystal ball to know if that is going to be a horrible idea or not. Makes me sick at my stomach to think about....going to go throw up now!