Skip to main content

Reply to "Showball Camp vs Headfirst Camp Same November Weekend"

Hello all, just thought I would add in my two cents. I've had two sons (and now my softball playing daughter) go through this process. My boys attended both HF and Showball, but I will not be sending my daughter to the Showball softball camp.

HF has always been better organized, and frankly, they play more baseball. If you look at their schedules, HF has more programming (2 more full games, I think). This extra time with these coaches is vital. HF also had coaches talk to the entire camp about what they look for in a potential recruit. It was very interesting to me and important for my boys to hear.

Recently, I called HF and spoke to a guy who graduated from Pomona. When my son's we're going through the process, I spoke to a guy who went to Haverford and another who went to Amherst. These are the types of school's my kids were/are looking at and the HF guys were able to provide a lot of insight. I never heard of the schools the Showball guys went to. HF has people who went through this exact same recruiting process (and apparently many full-time in their office who are alums of HF). HF gets it, Showball just felt less genuine. 

All of that said, when picking the right event, it has to come down to which coaches in attendance. I did take a look at the online coaches list for both of these camps in November and Showball definitely has more. But their list seems fairly diluted with "non-academic" schools (I saw several community colleges). That's not say your player wouldn't benefit from going to one of those schools, I'm just saying if your son is a high academic ballplayer with the goal of getting a world-class education, Showball is NOT the right event for you. 

I know I'm coming off like a HF fanboy, and lord knows HF gets enough positive reviews on this site. I just wanted to share how I felt about the differences between these two camps. 

GOV - If you do end up attending HF in November, make sure to track down the owner, Brandon Sullivan. I had many chats with him at camp and he more than anybody helped me understand the recruiting process.