Skip to main content

Reply to "Showball Showcase Camps"

Did HF last summer as a rising junior and SB a few weeks ago in Chicago. HF seemed better run and a better experience. Although some it it may just be fluff to make you feel good. They are both definitely geared more towards the pitchers. The BP rounds are very fast paced. A lot of the college coaches weren’t paying much attention. Then in the scrimmage if the P had stuff warming up they watched. If not they were on their phones and chatting with other coaches.

As stated above, there are better coaches at SB. However, that could be different for your son. Not all HA’s are created equal. You need to see where his test score will work. The top “elite” HA D3 schools will require a 1500 SAT (some higher). Ivies can go much lower for the right player.

I know your son is a C/P like mine. The feedback from his SB eval was he had the best C arm there, bat that will play at D1, needs to work on footwork on his transfer, great stuff on the mound and if he is recruited at a D1 would likely be as a P. This feedback came at the camp from a P5 coach that followed up after. Got a couple other D1 calls about pitching. 2 D3’s said they would like to see him do both and a couple others want to see him again before making that determination. The D1 coaches are going to come watch him in Atlanta in a couple weeks.

I would not go into these showcases as a rising junior and expect results. These schools don’t really start heavy recruiting until May/June after your junior year.

Just gonna put it out there, not trying to be a jerk or create hard feelings:

The more skilled your son is, the lower his test scores and grades can be (although there are limits) even for the highest academic schools, and if he projects elite he’ll have offers while an underclassman in HS.

Last edited by SpeedDemon