Skip to main content

Reply to "Showball Showcase Camps"

@Gunner Mack Jr. Thanks for the well wishes.  Same to you and yours.

As far as the age thing is concerned, it is absolutely relevant.  Scouting is about the ability of the prospect to be projected against others in their class and the likelihood of success at the next level.  If you have two kids and both are 6’ 180 lbs and both throw 85. One is 16 and one is 18 and all other things held constant for the same class, you’re saying there is no difference?  Physical and emotional maturity comes with age.  If it didn’t matter DOB, height and weight wouldn’t be included on every recruiting or showcase questionnaire or be the basis for prospect screening.

I personally won’t be talking to coaches unless it is necessary and requested by them, but they will know your sons age and mine.  There is also a context factor.  I can say with absolute certainty that high levels of commitment and dedication are uncommon in 15 year olds otherwise everyone would have a 4.0 gpa and goal focus.  If you point is that a 17/18 year old will be competing against grown men 18-26 for a roster spot and playing time, you are absolutely correct and both of our sons have a couple of years to prepare for it.  Like it or not, our sons are faced with different transfer rules, the age of the reclass and Covid fallout.  What worked before might not be the best course of action moving forward.