Skip to main content

Reply to "Showcase ball and competitiveness"

Going back to the original question about competiveness vs getting work done at showcases...

As a mere parent watching the various showcases and camps my son has been to, one thing that I've seen consistently from just about every kid...they are competing. I honestly don't think a 16-18 year old kid separates a showcase "game" from a real game.

Sure, a batter knows that he won't get to take first if he draws a walk, a pitcher knows he's only going to see at most 5 batters an inning, etc. But, I'll wager my best nickel that if you ask the batters, they all want to tag the ball, drive in a run, steal a base, etc. The pitchers all want to dominate, strand any runners they let on base, etc. The good players compete the minute they cross the white line, regardless of the venue.

Even during BP, INF/OF throwing, catcher pop times, the kids are watching each other and competing to do better than the guy before them. It's in their blood; heck, it's human nature. Any kid who's just "getting work done" probably doesn't really want to be there, or is such a stud that he doesn't need to be there. For the other 98%, they're competing.

Why? Maybe because they know someone who matters is watching. Maybe they hope their dream college is in the stands. Maybe they know that PG write ups get read by hundreds of pro and college recruiters.

Or, maybe it's because most of the kids realize that they're playing against a bunch of talented kids and they naturally want to up their game.
Hopefully they're not just doing it because Mom or Dad is in the stands, although I'm sure there's still some of that.

Regardless, I don't think it's necessary to worry about showcases diluting the competiveness of players. At least, not from what I've seen.

PD