Skip to main content

Reply to "Showcase Baseball"

Hitman00:

I don't believe that any of us know enough to make an assessment about leaving in the "starting pitcher", at least from the information as presented here.

We've played showcase ball in that region for years and the approach varied by year and team. When we had a deep bullpen, the pitchers would split a game 4/3, starting one weekend and relieving the next. When we didn't have a deep bullpen (either missing due to camps, official visits or just years when we were a bit short of bodies that could pitch decently), then the starters normally went at least 5, sometimes 6. Two-way players were used as "closers" for the final 2 innings normally.

If you have a pitcher-only on a relatively small squad, he better be getting some extensive work instead of letting the two-way players get equal amount of time on the mound ... or else you won't have him the next season, he'll be hunting for greener pastures where he can be seen more regularly.

I don't know who you played, so I can't venture a guess. One thing I do know ... there are TOO MANY showcase teams in the Greenville region (in all of NC/SC for that matter), so the talent level is diluted on a lot of teams.

Concerning bunting .... you are going to be bunting in college, you are going to be evaluated on your bunting ... not bunting (just because it's "Showcase" ball) isn't acceptable. Not teaching how to defense a bunt (just because it's "Showcase" ball) is plain stupid. It's an important part of the game.