Skip to main content

Reply to "Showcase numbers to shoot for?"

TXdad2019 posted:
adbono posted:
DALEX posted:
TXdad2019 posted:

My son was injured Junior season and summer. He rehabbed and worked his butt off. Went and got some numbers with PBR, got a Field Level account. Although his numbers aren't as high as we would've liked, coming off of a year of injuries, the numbers weren't horrible. He hit the weight room, and is on a nutritional program to gain weight. He was contacted in this Fall by 12 schools, mainly NAIA and D3. He just signed with a top 10 NAIA school. Don't worry he has time and every situation is different. Good luck

Hi TXDad, really appreciate the success story given a similar situation.  It's a nerve-racking even without rehabbing an injury.  

Numbers don't get a kid recruited.  Being a good baseball player gets a kid recruited. Coaches know the difference.  Chasing numbers is a waste of time and money.  The emphasis should always be on getting better as a player - through practice & training.  That's how you get there.  Not by  posting a magic number at a showcase.

I never said numbers get a kid recruited, and I never said Chase numbers. I did say for a  reasonable price, I brought my son to one, I repeat one PBR event to get third  party numbers. We targeted colleges based on those numbers. If a kid is mid 80's on IF velo and exit velo, why would you even look D1? It was tool we used to help find what level of play, that's all. When he worked out for different colleges, all of them clocked with a radar gun my son's exit velo and his arm strength. If you never get a number, then when asked by the coach what your velo is, I guess you say " I don't know, some guy on baseball website said I just needed to be good, the hell with any numbers". Come on man

My comments were not directed at you specifically.  It just seemed like a good place to fit them in. Having said that, there are a lot of people on this board that IMO seem overly concerned about posting numbers. Not saying you shouldn't know what they are.  Not saying you shouldn't go to an appropriate showcase or two.  Just saying that there are more important things - like being able to play baseball.