Skip to main content

Reply to "Showcase Timing"

Kimb27 posted:

I would highly recommend Headfirst or Showball in place of a PG showcase.  PG doesn't have coaches attend for the most part.  It is for creating or boosting the players' PG profile numbers. The other 2 have many coaches of all levels and have many dates offered throughout the year.  You can choose the event based on the schools attending that might be a fit for your son.  It is expensive, but many on this site will agree it's worth it. 

If you do choose to do PG, I would make sure he's recovered. If he goes in and does poorly, those metrics sit on PG until he does another one.  Not every school values the PG numbers, but many do.  So, just be cautious and spend your $$ wisely.

Headfirst and Showball are primarily for kids entering their senior year of HS looking for offers from high academic schools. A sophomore wouldn't really get much out of it even if he were interested in those types of schools as they typically don't start recruiting until the summer after their junior year. I also wouldn't say coaches value PG numbers, it is just there for verification. So when they get an email from a player or a call from a travel coach saying Johnny throws 87, they can go to PG/PBR and see how accurate that information is. 

As for the OP, I wouldn't do any type of showcase until he is 100%. Why spend the money when you know he can perform better when healthy? Truthfully I would skip the showcases altogether until necessary or an invite only type deal. You say he is on a good travel team and will be getting in front of target schools. If they like his game you will hear from them. No need to fork over another 800 when he will already be seen by schools he is interested in. 

The top prospect lists and honorable mentions don't mean anything. The score on his PG profile means even less. The score is there so you spend the money on another showcase to get it higher. I know kids with 9.5s who had no offers. I know others who have 7.5 because they went and threw 75mph in 9th grade at P5 schools. Save the money and wait for the summer to play out. 

Last edited by PABaseball