Skip to main content

Reply to "Shutting Down"

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Paw Mom:
PIC,
I do not know what level you are talking about, you stated your son is in college. Most programs shut pitchers down after fall practice (the ones who played in the summer completely), work on conditioning and long toss, mechanics etc. This might be reversed depending on the climate. I do believe there is some period for recovery at any college level, someone correct me if I am wrong.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The team is in fall ball now and the pitchers are split into an A group and a B group. A's throw in Tuesday's game and B's throw in Thursday's game. Other days are varied between weight training, long distance running and a variety of game situation drills, ie., fielding, defensive assignments, etc. Long toss everyday, bull-pen's and pole-to-poles interspersed between game assignments.

Fall Ball ends at the end of November and Winter Ball commences after the first week in January 2005. During the holiday break my son will be in Australia with the Areacode Goodwill Tour. So he will have played pretty much all year long since the 2003 Area Code Games in Australia of last December - January.

From the time he graduated from HS he has been lifting weights and has filled out quite a bit, and is much stronger now. He is on nutritional and caloric supplements plus vitamins which seem to have helped him stave off the usual colds and flu he use to get around this time of the year.

I don't make any value judgment on how others run their programs. The human body is a magnificent apparatus in that the more you stress it physically, and correctly, the more efficient, bigger and stronger it gets.
Last edited by PiC