Skip to main content

Reply to "Shutting out the noise"

Originally Posted by PGStaff:

… For most the (ear plugs) would be a big disadvantage, the way I see it.  

I think you’re correct. For most it would be unnecessary and quite possibly be a disadvantage.

But where did you get the idea I was suggesting using them on anyone other than those who were having a problem nothing else was working on?

For a lot of you coaches, it seems to me you have the mindset that every player is going to get the same coaching, especially in a team setting. If Billy is going to be coached to hold the ball a certain way in order to throw a certain type of pitch, every pitcher is going to be told to hold the ball the same way. If Johnny is going to be coached not to uppercut when he swings, every hitters is going to be coached to do the same thing. The trouble is, that turns out a bunch of clones, many of whom can’t do their best they way they’re being told to do something.

So if you have 20 players on the roster and 19 aren’t bothered by off the field noise, but that other kid is and you can’t figure out how to stop it, you’d just let him continue to fail or keep trying the same things over and over again. I’m sorry, that might be the most efficient use of coaching time in a team environment, but it sure seems to be that it’s not in the best interest of the player.

IOW, what’s wrong with at least trying something? If it doesn’t work, fine. But not to try something because you don’t think it would work doesn’t seem to be very innovative.