Skip to main content

Reply to "Sign or College......That Is The Question!!"

Old Pitcher, Good topic but like you say ---no answer.

There are many different ways you can look at this. Take your pick!

Let me get deep here ----You can ONLY compare your situation and the way you are doing it ---- to ----- yourself if you were doing it another way and since it is impossible to do two things at once, there will never be an answer.

Let me give you two fabricated answers to the same question using my son using his actual situation as an example and both could be true --- or untrue --- take your pick.

#1 answer (used with family members and college educated friends)
My son chose the right path. He didn’t sign when drafted out of high school and opted to go to college, work toward a degree and play college baseball. He had a great time in college and is well on his way to a degree that should provide him with the basics necessary for a good future. He has since been drafted again and opted to play professionally. Doing it this way allows him the best of both worlds; almost a college degree AND playing professional baseball. I am so proud of him!

-------------OR-----------------

#2 answer (used at the county club and the poker game after a few brews)
My son chose the wrong path. He should have signed out of high school. He was drafted and offered a sizable signing bonus that would have provided him with a comfortable life for a number of years and more than enough where he could have focused his attention to becoming a MLB player. Had he signed out of high school I’m sure he would be on a MLB roster and making a seven figure salary TODAY.... But NO..... he wallowed around, socializing. playing college ball and failed to get a degree. While he is more mature he is also older by three years and will not be given as much time and attention toward fulfilling his lifelong dream of playing ML baseball. Had he signed out of high school, I know at this instant I would have my new $300,000 RV (nicknamed “Fungo’s Fastlane”) that I could follow him around in ---- but I
don’t.

The preceding answers are to be used as an example only. Fungo gave up golf, doesn’t belong to a county club, no longer consumes adult beverages, or plays poker .... Or owns an RV. Big Grin