Skip to main content

Reply to "Sign or College......That Is The Question!!"

It is a very complex decision for some, and extremely simple for others (to go pro or college). I don't think it's a problem to guess a round a player may go in, but the player and parents need to know that it is merely a guess and neither the scout nor advisor really knows.

Some would want to know if they are "projected" to be in the upper rounds or lower to help in their decision for college or pros. The guessing has to take place to do this. Most parents and players have no ability to guess, therefore the advisor and possibly scout feedback can come into play.

I cannot imagine a player projected in the first three rounds being surprised by the selection. I can't also imagine the major league team not knowing there is a good chance of signing them. This would just be too much risk on the club.

It does get harder rounds 4 - 10 where there is still pretty good money. However, little is set in stone. I heard of a 35th rounder being offered $400,000 last draft to not play in college.

The player would be doing well to continue with plans to go to college and if drafted can decide if pro ball is preffered over college. Money is just one consideration.

In summary, I think it is very appropriate for an advisor to assess the player and communicate a guess on the draft round. However, the player and parents should be told and aware the advisor and even scouts have no real control over the draft process.