Skip to main content

Reply to "Sign or College......That Is The Question!!"

quote:
What we are being told is we can have his education provided on the backside.The catch is you have to use it within so many years & most kids don't.So you can have your cake and eat it too.

MICSTER,
Welcome to the HSBBW.
Sounds like your son is one terrific player. I sure won't be the first on this site hoping and wishing for the very best for him, and you, over the next few months leading up to June and possibly the period from June to 8/15/11.
You may well know this.
The educational costs, even if they are never paid, are often included in the teams values for the bonus that gets paid. So, even a $500,000 bonus might not be that after taxes if some or a lot of it might be for the MLB scholarship allocation.
Additionally, the teams are not usually saying they will pay the education. I believe the MLB education plan needs to start being used within 2 years of the end of MLB baseball.
Whenever that occurs, tuition and college costs are likely to be much higher than they are now.
The MLB education can be negotiated. Don't be surprised to see the team starting any offers with the education to be paid stated in current dollars, not future tuition, and you might also see it limited to tuition, with room/board/books and all the incidentals not being paid.
The amount allocated for education can be substantial, but it might not frost a big cake, if you get my drift. Wink
But you can also attempt to negotiate more frosting. When you are working with a very good baseball scholarship at a school that wants you and your son wants them, the worst MLB can say is no. If MLB wants the player enough, they will let you and your son know about the frosting.
Last edited by infielddad