Skip to main content

Reply to "Sign or College......That Is The Question!!"

quote:
Originally posted by MICSTER:
My biggest fear is not knowing what you can & can not say to these advisors & scouts so you don't violate NCAA rules.I hear a lot of horror stories.Does anyone have any advise on that.

You can say whatever you like, you just can't have a professional agent say it for you. Smile

Just to reinterate what infielddad has said, in 2007 my son was awarded by his drafting team, enough dollars in the MLB scholarship fund for 32 credit hours (no living expenses) to finish his degree. The tuition has since increased about 10K. Plus, due to the mlb incentive bonus plan he has LOST money in his account. This means that each time he moved up a level and remained for 90 days or more he lost money in his scholarship fund.
Fortunetly he has taken money from his bonus and put away enough for him to finish at the school he attended without having to work while going to class.
Negotiating for anything will be much easier if they want you badly enough, and that would probably mean being an early pick.
While I beleive that this is a personal decision, remember who will benefit by giving you certain information.
Keep in mind that milb salary is not enough to put away and save for a rainy day, and yes it is going to be VERY difficult to begin school after 5-6 years of being out of it and most likely, unless there was a significant signing bonus, it won't be enough to cover 4-5 years of tuition room and board (as infielddad told you) without working to subsidize.