Skip to main content

Reply to "significant senior season"

Mr & Mrs,
I am not sure whether throwing 85 in the fall and 90 by the spring is an everyday occurance. Someone might want to elaborate on this. I know that my son's FB average is 88-89 hitting 90 last fall (2002) and this fall 93. A gain of 3mph in one year.
Unfortunetly,some are under the impression that hitting 90's will get a good scholley at a top D1, top D2. It really doesn't work that way. It will get you noticed, but it doesn't mean that everything is working. Example, maintaining certain speeds while throwing different pitches is very important. I know lots of pitchers who have velocity in the 90's, they throw but don't pitch. If you read carefully about the top pitching prospects, you will notice that most of these pitchers have many different pitches and command of them. They know how to set up the batter, they know exactly what is going on in the field at all times, how to get out of a jam, movement etc. These are the intangibles that a coach notices right away. If a pitcher has those qualities, and they feel velocity will come with physical maturation,they will get noticed.
Parents often wonder what sets the pitchers apart from others. They are asking all the time, "my son throws harder than that pitcher, why is he overlooked". I think there has been much discussion on these boards as to why these kids are where they are today. So therefore, IMO throwing 85 in the fall and 90 by spring doesn't neccesarily get you noticed.
Last edited {1}