Skip to main content

Reply to "Silver Lining of Covid This Fall?"

First of all this wacky experience did bring my family closer. I am fortunate that my immediate family was not affected by the disease. Sadly, I have lost friends and colleagues.

My kid's school always had some form of remote learning but when it was implemented full time, the family boss and I were concerned (me panicked) it would negatively impact his educational development and exacerbate bad habits. Well, I could not have been more wrong and I was very impressed that the boy developed good independent study skills and it reflected in his grades that reached an all time high for him. I admit I was at first skeptical that that the quality in remote learning was below grade but when we did some deeper digging, it absolutely was not and in fact more advanced as the assignments were modeled with the premise there was more time at home to do it. The tests/finals were not traditional but the school did make sure the "project" did encompass all that was taught in the trimester.  It did help him transition to the online SAT/ACT courses and independent study. He is taking them this month so hopefully he will score well and have an opportunity to retake them unlike the poor 2021s.

For baseball, he was fine. He worked out made big gains on his upper body (according to him), worked on skills development with his friend and sometimes let his parents feed him balls or record him. When his season started in July, he struggled for a few weeks with timing. I think hitting back to back tanks in a game set him back further because he was daddyhacking his way to two strike. He did fix his approach (thankfully his coach said something) and the last 3 weeks of season he was a hitting machine with one tragic event on his last game, he hit a hard liner to a pitcher's forehead. The kid was sent to a hospital ambulance, frightening scene and I am pleased to report he was/is okay. He did a regional showcase and was please with the improvement from his winter metrics but overall disappointed on how they took the metrics. He has been in contact with several D1 and D3s. He is still primarily pursuing HA.