Skip to main content

Reply to "Single mom of a freshman catcher looking for some helpful tips"

Perfect game tournaments, the big ones in the summer (WWBA) bring out a lot of great talent and college coaches, but that is not the only (or even the best) way to be seen by the schools you want. Showcases are basically fodder for that organizations web profile for your kid (PG, PBR) and you may have someone there see your kid, but it’s more to see how you stack up against competition. Don’t spend money on Headfirst, Showball etc yet...too early. 

Right now I would get a list of the schools your son is interested in and start a dialogue with those coaches. If college coaches are complimenting his game, those are the ones to start with. Get to their school’s camps and see if there is any interest. If there is early interest, great! If not, cast the net wider. News flash - coaches need to fill those camps up to generate $$$, and do get “creative” in order to do it (buyer beware). 

catcher is a premium position, so if he really stands out you will know and will get the attention commensurate with his skills. I have known catchers who committed to Power 5 Conference schools as freshmen, so it happens, and some who don’t commit until summer after Junior year. I also know very good catchers with 1.85 pop times in Game who have gotten attention but no offers.

with regard to PG and PBR showcases, they are ALWAYS more than happy to take your $$$....but may not be of value if you don’t have a plan.