Skip to main content

Reply to "Single mom of a freshman catcher looking for some helpful tips"

Pretty much agree with Goose.   Grades are just as important, if not more, as baseball skills.  

Usually the first question a college RC or HC will ask is for ACT/SAT scores and/or GPA - assuming they are interested.   The NCAA minimum GPA to play is 2.0 (individual schools may require higher), but most coaches prefer higher like 3.0 or better.

At this point I would concentrate on academics and making the HS team.   It's not the end of the world if he is not on varsity as a freshman.  The varsity coach at our HS generally doesn't even look at freshman - only sophomores, juniors and seniors.   Very few freshman (at least in my area) qualify for the varsity squad, let alone play at that level.   Most end up on JV (no freshman teams here).  And enjoy his HS years.   Some parents get caught up in trying to get to the next level (any sort of college ball) that they really don't enjoy their sons HS years.   Not to be a Debbie downer, but on average, only 1 in 10 plays at the college level (D1, D2, D3, NAIA, or JuCo).  My son's senior year was above average in that regard.  Of the 6 seniors, 3 went on to play at the college level (2 D3 and 1 JuCo) while another went pro.

As to exposure via showcases/camps, you don't have to worry about that yet.  The earliest I would think about camps or showcases is after his sophomore year.