Skip to main content

Reply to "Single mom of a freshman catcher looking for some helpful tips"

Iowamom23 posted:

One other note that refers to what some here have mentioned. I started down the recruiting path about the same time you are. The summer after 8th grade, our youth coach told us my son had the potential to play college ball, and to pitch varsity as a freshman. When he actually pitched varsity as a freshman, I figured the guy might know what he was talking about, so called a friend who was a former D3 baseball coach and athletic director.

I bought him drinks and picked his brain about travel team options, and about showcases. The best advice he gave was this — when you take a kid to a college camp or a showcase, the coach is going to start a file or a form. If he thinks the kid isn't right for his program, he will close the file. Once closed, it's very hard to get them to reopen it.

Or, in brief, you only have one chance at a first impression. Make it a good one.

Wow, I like that "closed file" reference.  I don't think I've ever heard quite that perspective before.  That's a great piece of relevant substance for the directive of "don't show until you have something to show".

Last edited by cabbagedad