Skip to main content

Reply to "Single mom of a freshman catcher looking for some helpful tips"

cabbagedad posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Regarding your travel team situation... Triple Crown has historically been an organization with a focus on events for younger players (14u and down).  They are working toward stretching that upward but not really there yet.  Moving forward, your son will want to be with an organization that does not have primarily a Triple Crown tourney schedule.

Sorry have to butt back in here....Cabbagedad, I guess things are flipped in GA, the OP doesn't live far from me.  Triple crown has a strong presence at 14u and up.  The super elite teams play only PG, and only play about 6 tourneys because that can get costly.  For most 14u and up teams here if you aren't playing PG that weekend you are likely playing Triple Crown.  USSSA is dead here after 12u, TC and PG are where the older kids play.

That's good to hear, actually.  I do some contract work with them and they still have made minimal inroads in the Western US with the older groups.  I'm not saying they aren't able to put some teams/brackets together for older groups on occasion but they are not to the point where many RC's are taking the events seriously out here.  I know they have a couple featured events in Atlanta for HS age clubs but if you scroll through their 2018 tournament events on their website, probably 90+% are still listed for ages 8u-14u (you can confirm by clicking the "who's coming" button for each).  Sounds like perhaps those Atlanta events are gaining momentum, anyway.  

May-July is when 15u and up play here.  I took a look at the site and they seem to all open to high school age teams during that time.  They are also usually Wood Only, which our guys like.  It surprised me to hear that USSSA was so big in other parts of the country when I first joined this site.  They aren't even mentioned after 14u here, and most stop playing by 12u.