Skip to main content

Reply to "Single mom of a freshman catcher looking for some helpful tips"

gunner34 posted:

How is hit bat?  exit velocity?   is he lifting weights?     I see your in Georgia which seems like it would allow for more PG events,   I would explore higher level travel teams.   I have a freshman also and we let our son play with his friends on a good competitive team up until 8th grade but we didn't go to big events and he realized as well that he needed to move up in competition.    We might not get to a perfect game event this summer as the big Texas travel teams at 15u tend to concentrate more on a league that is Texas centric but we shall see.  

We’ve never had his exit velocity checked. Something I will definitely look into. The only thing I’ve ever been told is that he has extremely fast hands. We went through a year long rebuild after one of his coaches tried to slow his hands down and ended up getting his entire batting stance off. He’s been doing weight training with the HS team since school started in August, before that he worked out regularly with a PT. There’s a lot of good tournament teams around this area so I’ll be looking around. He’s told me he’s ready to play at a higher level on a more competitive team. I tried to stay laid back as much as possible with it all, and let him decide when he’s ready to up his game. So, I think that’s where we are now.