Skip to main content

Reply to "Sitting on an offer"

Any tips or etiquette for handling an offer that the player doesn’t plan to immediately accept but would seriously consider accepting down the road? Son is a 2024 and in no rush to commit. He wants to continue to explore options and is actively talking to several other coaches. The offering coach did not communicate a timeline or other expectations.

thanks!

Be honest, respectful and polite.   It is true that it depends on your son's talent level (leverage) how much patience the coach will have but I think it also depends what your son wants to get out of college baseball.   Under no circumstances should you or your son feel pressured.   This is a huge decision.   If he wants to continue to explore all options then that is what he should do.  This is his gig.

My son's first offer was a to fantastic mid-major D1 (private) about 15-20 miles from our house.  It was his dream school when he was younger.  It is a great business and law school.   We were over the moon with his first offer (25%) and that did help move some things along with some other schools.   There was no timeline on the first offer.   A month later they came back with a 50% second offer and a 72 hour deadline when they got wind of another school offering him.  That month between the 1st and 2nd offer gave him a lot of time to think long and hard about everything.   They did not have the major he wanted to pursue, and that was the big stumbling block.  So he passed on the 50% offer.   My point is to pay attention to the marketplace, but don't put any unnecessary pressure on making a decision because of what a coach says or doesn't say.   Commit when the offer and the entire situation feels right. 

JMO and my experience.