Skip to main content

Reply to "Sitting on an offer"

@atlnon posted:

On a separate note, I would like to ask this forum for feedback about the school but I am not really comfortable sharing the name of the school since it's not a done deal yet.  I searched the forum and the last discussion about the school was more than 5 years ago.  Is there another way of doing it or I just have to be willing to share the name of the school publicly?  I've been in IT long enough to know that if someone tries hard enough, they can connect an online user persona to the real life.

Feel free to ask about a conference or a group of schools. That is what I did in my sons process when I could not find anything current or about a school he was interested in.

My son was being lightly recruited by and interested in a school that is discussed semi regularly here with the HA crowd (Davidson) so no need to ask about it. Another school which was a fallback for him and a great academic school in a part of the country he wanted to be in was Washington & Lee (HA D3) so I initially asked about the conference then was able to DM a poster who responded whose kid attends W&L. Lastly, prior to committing I found an old thread and asked for an update on it from any/all who may have had an opinion or experience with it (Bradley).

Part of my kids process sped up with several schools that had communicated with him via text/email/twitter once he contacted them after receiving an offer (with a general timeline) from a JUCO all of them would know about and know that the JUCO turns out dudes. Son followed up with something like this, "Coach, I know that we have communicated in the past" and "Coach, you  follow me on Twitter" followed by something like this: "I received a great offer from JUCO State and am strongly considering taking that offer as it is a great opportunity. I have always hoped to have a 4 year experience (or attend your school) and simply wanted to touch base out of courtesy prior to accepting this offer."

Hope that this might help a little bit and great luck to your kid!