Skip to main content

Reply to "Size and Height of draft picks and Collage players"

c2019 posted:

My question is why is it that I always see coaches flocking to get a High school freshmen or sophomore who are above 6 feet , since they are projectable?

I see kids below 6 feet with better numbers that most kids ranked above  , would the height and weight go into that big of a factor? I already see 2019's  committing to Miami and Vandy and it looks to be at least 2-3 at the same positions( not including pitchers and bloodlines)?

just wondering why ,

It's about the players tangibles, how many does he have? The more of course the better and above average. A scout will asked these questions when they watch 1 player. Can he run, can he throw, his height (for pitching)does he have good instincts, can he catch, can he hit and is he athletic. Is he heathly, Does he stay humble and respect the game, is he a teamate. There many players  he can say YES to on these tangibles.

Now here where the speration happens, He looks this 1 players other tangibles and thinks to himself and says, can he play first, can he play 2nd base, SS and 3rd? Can he play the outfield? Well if a scout says yes to all of those than that player has a shot at being drafted or going to a D1 team or play in college. Of course there are other levels of this but basically this is what a scout is looking for when they come to watch a player.