Skip to main content

Reply to "Size does not matter"

MLB should be measuring the size of a player's heart, not their bodies. I have a cousin that was an All-American in college, could hit for avg., hit for power, had the footspeed, defense, armstrength...everything you needed...except height...he was a 5'8" outfielder, maybe 5'9" if he stretched. He talked with scouts, went to tryout camps, and outplayed the bigger players. The scouts flat out told him that if he were bigger, he'd be at the top of their lists...and they admitted to him that he was a better player than the guys that would be picked, but that they couldn't recommend someone of his size, because he didn't fit the "ideal" they were looking for.

When Marcus Giles was in the minors, I struck up a conversation with a few scouts before the Single A Allstar game, and mentioned Giles, because I'd seen him play several times. Their response? He's too small...he'll never make it.

Pitchers? I've seen the kid for years that TPM is talking about...he's a quality pitcher, regardless of how tall he is. There's a ton of kids drafted that can throw hard and meet the "ideals" for size, but they don't have a clue how to pitch. Greg Maddux isn't a giant, and he's just won his 5th straight game...maxing out at 84mph. In fact, for some strange reason, in the games I've seen this year, there's a ton of guys throwing 85,86,87,or 88 mph...RH and LH...more of them than the guys throwing 93 or 94. Maybe they all got off of the juice... Big Grin body-builder